September month is full of interesting events. I have picked the best ones for you.
1) Berlin Marathon (BMW Berlin Marathon): Full Marathon (42K) event | Venue: Berlin, Germany | Date: 24th September.
It was founded in 1974 and has IAAF Gold Label status. Also along with seven other races, it forms the World Marathon Majors. Most marathon world records for men and women have been set at the Berlin marathon. For a record six consecutive years 2011-2016 Berlin has been the site of the world leading men’s time for the year (Boston 2011 with strong tailwind excluded).
In 2016, men’s race was won by Kenenisa Bekele (Ethiopia) – 2:03:03 hrs and the women’s race was won by Aberu Kebede (Ethiopia) – 2:20:45 hrs.
2) Birell Prague Grand Prix: 10k Running event | Venue: Prague, Czech Republic | Date: 9th September.
It is a 10-kilometre race organised in the attractive surroundings of Prague city centre during evening twilight. The race was introduced in 1997. The event holds IAAF Gold Label Road Race status.
In 2016, men’s race was won by Abraham Kipyatich (KEN) – 27:40 mins and the women’s race was won by Violah Jepchumba (KEN) – 30:24 mins.
3) Sydney Marathon (Blackmores Sydney Marathon): Full Marathon (42K), Half Marathon, 9 kilometres “Bridge Run”, and a 3.5 kilometres “Family Fun Run” | Venue: Sydney, Australia | Date: 17th September.
The event was first held in 2001 as a legacy of the 2000 Summer Olympics. The race was awarded a Gold Label Road Race by IAAF in 2015.
In 2016, men’s race (42k) was won by Tomohiro Tanigawa (Japan) – 02:12:13 hrs and the women’s race (42k) was won by Makda Harun Haji (Ethiopia) – 02:32:22 hrs.
4) Beijing Marathon: Full Marathon (42K) event | Venue: Beijing, China | Date: 17th September.
The race was first held in 1981 and has been held every year since. The race begins at Tiananmen Square and finishes at the National Olympic Sports Centre stadium. The race holds an IAAF Gold Label Road Race, one of three marathons in the China to receive the distinction (Other two are Xiamen International Marathon and Shanghai Marathon).
In 2016, men’s race was won by Gebre Mekuant Ayenew (Ethiopia) – 02:11:09 hrs and the women’s race was won by Biru Meseret Mengistu (Ethiopia) – 02:25:56 hrs.
5) Cape Town Marathon (Sanlam Cape Town Marathon): Full Marathon (42K) event | Venue: Cape Town, South Africa | Date: 17th September.
It was started in 2007 and awarded the Gold Label Road race by IAAF in 2017. It was the first African Marathon to achieve IAAF Gold Label Status, it is also accredited as a Climate Neutral event.
In 2016, men’s race was won by Asefa Negewo (ETH) – 02:08:41 hrs and the women’s race was won by Tish Jones (UK) – 02:36:13 hrs.
6) Copenhagen Half Marathon: Half Marathon (21.098 K) event | Venue: Copenhagen, Denmark | Date: 17th September.
The largest annual road running event in the city, followed by the more established Copenhagen Marathon. It holds IAAF Gold Label Road Race status.
In 2016, men’s race was won by James Mwangi Wangari (KEN) – 59:07 mins and the women’s race was won by Hiwot Gebrekidan Gebremaryam (ETH) – 01:08:00 hrs.