The World Marathon Majors (WMM) is a series consisting of six of the largest and most renowned marathons in the world, Olympic Games & IAAF World Championships Marathon. The 6 marathon races take place in Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York City.
WMM series was started in 2006, it spanned two calendar years, the second year of a series overlapped with the first year of the next.
There are total 10 WMM series till 2016-17. Series X will start and finish with the Boston Marathon 2017. WMM Series XI started with London Marathon, 2107. It is sponsored by Abbott.
Here are the race details of WMM series –
1) Tokyo Marathon: The marathon takes place in late February and joined the World Marathon Majors in 2013 as the sixth race.
2) Boston Marathon: One of the five original marathons included in the series, the marathon takes place on the regional holiday Patriots’ Day, i.e., the third Monday in April.
3) London Marathon: The London Marathon takes place annually in late April and is one of the five founding marathons for the World Marathon Majors in 2006.
4) Berlin Marathon: The race occurs in late September, and is one of the five founding marathons to begin the World Marathon Majors in 2006.
5) Chicago Marathon: As one of the five marathons to join at the time the World Marathon Majors was founded, the Chicago Marathon takes place annually in early October.
6) New York City Marathon: The NYC Marathon occurs on the first Sunday in November. It was originally a part of the World Marathon Majors founding group, and has participated since the start in 2006. In 2012, the NYC Marathon was cancelled in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and was not an active part of the World Marathon Majors for the year 2012.
7) IAAF World Championships in Athletics: Take place in each odd-numbered year.
8) Olympic Games (Take place once in 4 years) also considered as the major marathon events.